Lula Kebabs are ground meat kabobs cooked on skewers. They are usually made from ground lamb, chicken or beef. This dish is very popular in Caucasus, Balkans and Central Asia. Here I share a recipe for bacon-wrapped lula kebabs baked in the oven.
1. In a large bowl combine ground meat, onion, garlic, cilantro, basil, black pepper and cayenne pepper. Season with salt to taste. Mix well with your hands (for about 5 minutes).
2. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
3. Form log-shaped kebabs and thread them onto metal skewers (if you use wooden skewers, soak them in water for at least 30 minutes). Wrap the kebabs with bacon.
4. Line a baking pan with foil (a lipped pan will work best, but you can use a baking sheet as well). Arrange the skewers on top so that foil will catch the drips.
5. Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes, turn once, then bake for another 20 minutes, or until the bacon is golden brown.
6. Serve with ketchup or tkemali sauce and mashed potatoes or your favorite vegetables as a side.