This easy 5 minute artisan bread recipe is one of my favorite homemade breads. Just 4 ingredients - and you get a delicious, crusty, yet fluffy loaf of bread. Perfect for breakfast sandwiches. And it requires no kneading, no overnight wait. You have to try this!
2 hours, 35 minutes
1. In a large bowl, mix salt and water. Dissolve yeast in this mixture and let stand a few minutes.
2. Add flour and stir until just combined (I usually use a spatula).
3. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap (lid or kitchen towel will work, too) and allow to rise at room temperature for about 2 hours (it usually rises ~ 2 times in volume).
4. Line your table with a piece of parchment paper and sprinkle it with flour. Transfer the dough to the floured parchment paper. With floured hands, fold the dough in half, then fold the dough in half again.
5. Place the dough seam side down and, using your hands, form into a ball.
6. Let it rise uncovered for about 30-40 minutes (more rising will occur during baking).
7. With a sharp knife make about four X cuts over the top of the bread.
8. Place a baking dish (NOT a glass dish!) with water (about 1/3 full) on the bottom rack of your oven. Preheat oven to 415 degrees F (210 degrees C).
9. Transfer the dough with the parchment paper onto a cookie sheet (I usually flip my cookie sheet upside down).
10. Bake in the preheated oven for about 25-30 minutes, or until golden brown.
11. Remove from the oven, let it cool almost completely, then slice.