1. Cut beef into 1 inch cubes.
2. In a large saute pan or skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat, cook beef until brown. Add 2 cups of water, stir in rosemary and parsley. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer for 1 hour.
3. Meanwhile, cut the carrots, potatoes and celery into pieces of desired length. Chop the onion.
4. Stir in the vegetables and add water. Dissolve cornstarch in small amount of cold water and add to the stew. (you can add more water, if desired).
5. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Cover and continue to simmer until the vegetables are tender, about 1 hour.