1. First, we will need to make our sourdough starter. In a large glass bowl or jar, mix 1 cup rye flour and 1 cup warm water. Cover with a cotton towel or cloth and let stand at room temperature for 3 days (it’s good if the temperature is at least 77F). Stir the mixture every 24 hours. By the end of this time, it should be a bit thinner with some bubbles and light sour smell.
2. After 3 days, we will make our pre-dough. Mix together 1 cup of starter, 2 cups of rye flour and 3/4 cup warm water. Cover with a cotton towel or cloth and let stand at room temperature for 12 hours. At the end of this time, the mixture should become thinner and bubbles appear.
3. Let’s make our dough. I used my bread maker to mix together the pre-dough, 1 cup rye flour, 1 cup wheat flour, cumin, molasses, salt and tea. The dough should be a little stickier than most regular bread dough, when mixing it will be starting to form a ball on your spoon/bread maker attachment. Let the dough rise for about 3 hours in a warm place. I left mine in bread maker, if you decide to bake it in your oven, place the dough in a loaf pan (previously covered with parchment paper) before leaving it to rise.
4. Bake in bread maker for about 50 minutes. (If in oven, bake at 400F (200C) for about 50 minutes).
5. When the bread is ready, brush it slightly with water. Let cool, slice and serve.