1. Place potatoes in a pot. Cover with cold water and boil for 15-20 minutes, or until fork-tender. Drain.
2. Cook bacon: lay out bacon strips on a cold pan, turn on the heat and cook turning until crispy. Drain on a paper towel and crumble with your hands.
3. Preheat the oven's broiler and set the oven rack about 6 inches from the heat source.
4. Transfer potatoes to a baking sheet, previously drizzled with half of the olive oil. Lightly smash potatoes with a meat hammer or bottom of a drinking glass (you want the skin to break). Season with salt, sprinkle with minced garlic, and drizzle with the remaining oil.
5. Broil in the preheated oven for about 5 minutes, until nice golden brown color is achieved.
6. Top smashed potatoes with 1/2 tablespoon sour cream, chives and crumbled bacon. Enjoy.