1. Rub meat with salt on all sides. Place in a bowl or glass baking dish, cover and refrigerate for 2 days (3 days for thicker meat), turning once a day.
2. Dry meat with paper towels, sprinkle with ground black pepper, dry dill and crushed bay leaf (you can also use such spices as coriander or caraway seeds) on all sides.
3. Wrap tightly in cheesecloth (4-5 layers), tie with kitchen twine.
4. Hang in a dry, well-ventilated place for 7-10 days (depending on how dry you want your meat). When we use air conditioner, I often hang the meat in a closet closer to air vent.
5. Store in refrigerator, wrapped in cheesecloth. Remove the cheesecloth and slice. Serve as an appetizer.