1. Bring 5 quarts of water and chicken to boil in a large pot. Remove all scum. Reduce heat, cover and let simmer for about 50 minutes (until meat is tender).
2. Remove meat and set aside to cool slightly. Then cut it from bone and into bite-size pieces. Return to pot.
3. Prepare the vegetables. Place the potatoes and barley in pot.
4. Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a separate skillet over medium heat. Saute onions and carrots in it for about 3 minutes, then add pickles and tomato. Stir in 1 tablespoon sour cream. Saute for another 3 minutes.
5. Place the mixture in broth, add the pickle juice, bring the soup to boil. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Reduce heat and simmer for about 10 minutes, until the barley is soft and the potatoes are ready.
6. Serve in 5-10 minutes, topped with sour cream.