Chicken Barley Soup with Kale(mydeliciousmeals.com)Alena Tarasevich
An amazing healthy comfort soup with kale, chicken, barley, carrots and onion. It's perfect and a winner for sure. I hope your family will enjoy it as much as my family and friends did!
- 1 chicken breast (skinless, boneless)
- 1/4 cup barley
- 5 cups water
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 celery stalks (chopped)
- 2 carrots (sliced)
- 1 onion (finely chopped)
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 potatoes (chopped)
- 2 cups kale (chopped, I used frozen, if you use fresh, discard thick ribs)
- 1 teaspoon parsley (dry)
- 1 1/2 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
Yield: 6 Servings | Prep time: 10 minutes | Cook time: 1 hour, 40 minutes | Total time: 1 hour, 50 minutes
1. Put chicken in a large pot, add water and bring to a boil. Skim any foam from the surface, add barley and chicken broth. Bring to a boil. Simmer for 1 hour.
2. Chop celery, slice carrots, finely chop onion and mince garlic.
3. In a skillet, heat avocado oil. Saute celery, onion, carrots and garlic, until onions are translucent (about 7 minutes).
4. Chop potatoes.
5. Add potatoes and sauteed vegetables to the pot. Simmer for 10 minutes, until the potatoes are tender.
6. Add kale, parsley and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper. Cook for another 15 minutes.
7. Remove chicken, shred with a fork and return to the pot. Serve hot.
Products I recommend for this recipe
Note: This post may contain affiliate links for products I like. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. This means that if you click on a link and make a purchase, I'll earn some coffee money at no cost to you, which I promise to drink while creating more helpful recipes like this ;) Thank you for supporting My Delicious Meals!