1. Add water and chicken broth to a large pot. Bring to a boil. Cut the vegetables and ham.
2. Melt butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add leek, celery and carrots, saute for 7 minutes.
3. Add potatoes to the pot, bring to a boil, reduce heat and cook for 10 minutes.
4. Add ham, sauteed leek, celery and carrots. Cook for another 15 minutes, until the vegetables are tender.
5. In a small bowl, mix well 1/2 cup milk and flour, until all the lumps are gone. Add the rest of the milk and stir.
6. Pour the milk mixture into the pot and stir.
7. Add rosemary and parsley. Season to taste with salt. Simmer for 5 minutes.
8. Garnish with parsley or green onions and serve.