1. Cut the meat into small (a bit less than an inch) cubes.
2. Bring 3 quarts of water and beef to boil in a large pot. Remove all scum. Reduce heat, cover and let simmer for about 40 minutes (until meat is tender).
3. Wash the rice twice and soak it in warm water while the meat is cooking. Prepare the vegetables.
4. Peel the tomatoes (to make this process easy, detach the stems and then cut a very shallow X on the opposite the stem side of each tomato. Then drop them into the boiling water and leave there for 30 seconds. Remove the tomatoes and when they are cool, peel the skin off with your hands). Cut them into small cubes.
5. When the meat is ready, place potatoes and rice in broth, bring the soup to boil. Add half of the tomatoes.
6. In a large skillet heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium-high heat. Saute onions for about 5 minutes, then add the rest of the tomatoes and tomato sauce, saute for another 5-7 minutes.
7. Transfer the mixture to the pot. Cook for another 5 minutes, until the vegetables and rice are cooked through.
8. Place the garlic in the soup and turn off the heat. Let rest covered for 5-7 minutes before serving. Decorate each serving with parsley (optional).