1. For this recipe, I used a mason jar (mine was 24oz, any canning jar of approximately this size will work). It will help to get a crispier skin (the fat will drip down onto the vegetables, and the vegetables will get an amazing flavor). If you don't have a jar, you can still make this recipe, just place your duck (breast side up) on the vegetables.
2. Add beer to your jar (no beer? replace with water, we need to have some liquid in that jar, for it not to break).
3. Rinse the duck inside and out. Trim the excess skin and fat around the neck and cavity opening. Rub the inside with salt and garlic powder.
4. Pat the skin dry with paper towels. With a sharp knife, make a few cuts on the breast. Cut through the skin and fat, but don't cut the meat. Then prick the skin all over with a sharp fork.
5. Place the duck on the jar, you may need to slightly force your bird on the jar. Place the jar with the duck in a large baking dish.
6. Rub garlic powder, paprika and salt into the skin of the duck. Add some precut vegetables of your choice to the bottom of the dish, lightly sprinkle with salt and pepper.
7. Adjust your oven rack so that the duck fits in the oven (it shouldn't touch the oven). Preheat oven to 425F (220C).
8. Roast the duck for 15 minutes, then reduce heat to 350F (180C) and bake for another 1 1/2 - 2 hours, until golden brown and juices run clear (mine took 1 hr 40 min).
9. Transfer duck to a cutting board and let stand 10 minutes before carving. Enjoy!