Thai Fried Rice with Broccoli(mydeliciousmeals.com)Alena Tarasevich
One of Thai dishes my husband has cravings for. He first tried Thai fried rice at Orchid Thai restaurant in Downtown Detroit and was hooked. After trying it myself, I decided to recreate the recipe at home. That particular restaurant served it with broccoli, and I really liked that extra vegetable addition. The more veggies the better :) Besides being loaded with carrots, onions, broccoli, garlic and green onions, this Thai fried rice gets a unique flavor from the fish sauce, soy sauce and red pepper (the latter adjust to your taste). I use chicken in this recipe, but it can also be made with beef, pork or shrimp.
- 3 cups rice (cooked)
- 1 pound chicken (breasts or thighs, skinless, boneless, cut into strips)
- 2 tablespoons starch (I used arrowroot starch)
- 2 cups broccoli (florets, blanched. I pour hot water from kettle over broccoli and let it stand in water for a couple of minutes.)
- 2 carrots (cut into rounds)
- 1/2 onion (sliced)
- 3 cloves garlic (finely chopped)
- 2 eggs (lightly beaten with a fork)
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce (I used light sodium)
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons avocado oil
- red pepper (to taste)
- green onions (sliced, for garnish)
- cucumber (sliced, for garnish)
Yield: 5 servings | Prep time: 15 minutes | Cook time: 25 minutes | Total time: 40 minutes
1. In a bowl, toss chicken pieces with cornstarch to coat them slightly.
2. Heat half of the avocado oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Brown the chicken on all sides until cooked through. Transfer to a plate.
3. To the same skillet, add the rest of the avocado oil, sliced onions and carrots, cook for 2 minutes, then add garlic. Push the veggies to one side of the skillet and pour the beaten eggs into the other side. Break the eggs up with a spatula, until scrambled and cooked through (veggies should be only lightly softened!).
4. Add chicken, cooked rice and blanched broccoli to the skillet.
5. In a small bowl mix together fish sauce, soy sauce and maple syrup. Add to the skillet and stir until everything is combined. Sprinkle with red pepper flakes to taste (if you prefer a stronger flavor, you can add another teaspoon of fish sauce).
6. Let stand for 5-7 minutes to allow flavors to blend. Top with green onions. Serve with sliced cucumber.
Note: This post may contain affiliate links for products I like. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. This means that if you click on a link and make a purchase, I'll earn some coffee money at no cost to you, which I promise to drink while creating more helpful recipes like this ;) Thank you for supporting My Delicious Meals!