1. Pour water into a large pot, add chicken, celery, whole onion and bay leaves. Bring to a boil and skim the foam.
2. Place split peas in a meshed strainer, rinse and add to the broth. Cook for 25 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, prepare the meat and vegetables: chop Polish sausage, onion, grate carrots, mince garlic, cut potatoes into cubes.
4. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onions and carrots and cook for about 7 minutes. Add garlic and Polish sausage, cook for another 2 minutes.
5. Add potatoes, onions, carrots, Polish sausage and garlic to the soup. Remove chicken from the pot, cut into cubes and add back to the soup.
6. Remove onion and celery, discard. Season the soup with turmeric, thyme, salt and pepper. Cook for another 20 minutes.